The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 scored top marks across the board with most tech titles, and we were no different – but there’s a chance that the phone will explode during or just after charging, so Samsung has issued a recall.
Following a case last month where a handset reportedly caught fire while charging, a number of other cases have also been posted to social media sites, like the one below. It seems in some cases, the phone actually catches fire just after being removed from charge.
The timing couldn’t be worse for the South Korean company, as the handset was beginning to roll out more widely around the world and launched just yesterday in China.
In a statement, the company told 10SECOND.TECH:
“To date (as of September 1) there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note7.”
Customers that already have a device will be able to voluntarily swap it for a new one.