Connect with us

Bad

CETheft: Someone stole Razer’s laptop with three screens

Published

on

Gaming-focused PC maker Razer was at CES in Las Vegas last week showing off its new laptop with three 17-inch screens, but someone stole two of the three prototypes the company took to the show from its booth.

While the chunky-looking ‘Project Valerie’ laptop probably doesn’t strike you as the ultimate in portability, the ability to have three 4K displays with you at all times is unarguably unique – as such, the devices aren’t production ready models, they’re prototypes. As a result, Razer is worried about the very real possibility of the company’s tech secrets ending up with rivals, though, it’s not assuming industrial espionage was the motivation.

In a post on Facebook, a spokesperson for the company confirmed the theft, and that a $25,000 reward is being offered for information leading to “the identification, arrest and conviction of a criminal suspect. Razer, in its sole discretion, will decide who is entitled to a reward and in what amount. Razer may pay only a portion of the maximum reward offered. The decision will be based primarily upon law enforcement’s evaluation of the value of the information provided.”

Anyone that does have information is being urged to contact [email protected]

Read next: Mishu’s dating app is like Tinder, but with an attempt at fun

I’m a tech journalist and editor with lots of opinions. 10second.tech is a place for me to put those. All views expressed are personal, and not those of any titles for which I write in other capacities. As well as running this site, I also write for WIRED, Engadget, Trusted Reviews, and a number of other leading technology titles. I also run SexTechGuide.com.

You’re welcome to contact me via [email protected] if you have news or anything else to pass along, on twitter at @10sectech or @TheNextWoods

Tech startup founders that need media advice or PRs and brands that need content strategy advice should visit benwoodsish.com.

Bad

Uber spied on users, politicians and Beyoncé using ‘God View’, according to court records

Published

on

It’s not news to learn about Uber’s all-seeing ‘God View’ that let the company locate any of its users in real-time whenever it wanted, but according to court documents revealed this week, staff at the company routinely misused the ability for their own ends.

According to Ward Spangenberg, a former forensic data analyst at the company and the person cited in an excellent report by The Center for Investigative Reporting, while Uber says that the God View is restricted to key staff, it’s actually not.

“Uber’s lack of security regarding its customer data was resulting in Uber employees being able to track high profile politicians, celebrities, and even personal acquaintances of Uber employees, including ex-boyfriends/girlfriends, and ex-spouses,” Spangenberg wrote. He contends that “thousands” of employees can access the information whenever they want.

Existence of the God View is likely to draw even more concern as Uber continues to impinge on user privacy even further by tracking your location when you’re not even using the app after a ride ends.

Spangenberg’s list of complaints also includes claims that Uber remotely encrypted computers during raids of Uber offices by governments around the world, and that the company deleted files that it was legally required to keep. 45-year-old Spangenberg’s issue with Uber is a claim of age discrimination, which he says along with being a whistleblower internally, led to him being removed from his job after just 11 months.

We’ve contacted Uber for comment and will update if the company responds.

Update, December 14: An Uber spokesperson got in touch with the following statement:

“Uber continues to increase our security investments and many of these efforts, like our multi-factor authentication checks and bug bounty program, have been widely reported. We have hundreds of security and privacy experts working around the clock to protect our data. This includes enforcing strict policies and technical controls to limit access to user data to authorised employees solely for purposes of their job responsibilities, and all potential violations are quickly and thoroughly investigated.”

Continue Reading

Bad

Samsung’s final magic trick for the Note 7 is to turn it into a paperweight

Published

on

Note 7 owners holding onto their devices have been asked nicely, offered incentives, banned from taking them on planes (regardless of whether they are switched on or not) but a final few just don’t want to give up what is arguably the best phone of 2016, had it not started exploding.

Samsung’s taken different approaches in various countries – working with operators in New Zealand to prevent the handsets from being able to join a network, and limiting charging to 60 percent, for example – but now Samsung US has taken the decision to brick all the remaining devices with a final update. It’s due to start rolling out from December 19 for US users.

According to Samsung’s statement on the matter, the update will “eliminate their ability to work as mobile devices” by preventing them from charging at all. And if you’ve got a dead mobile device you can’t charge, then what you really have is a $700 brick.

It’s a pretty drastic move, and perhaps one that’s indicative that Note 7s weren’t being returned quite as quickly as the company wanted. That offer for an exchange or refund stands though, which is better than being left with a brick.

Continue Reading

Bad

Samsung Pay delayed yet again in UK, but who cares at this point?

Published

on

Samsung has once again decided that it just can’t get its Samsung Pay mobile payment system up and running in the UK, so has delayed it until some point in 2017. But will anyone be interested in using it by the time it arrives?

It was first launched in Samsung’s home market of Korea in 2015, and has since made it abroad to the US, but the UK hasn’t been graced with its presence, due to the complexity of hammering out agreements with the relevant banks.

This means that poor old Android owners will have to continue to use their perfectly functional Android Pay mobile payments option instead.

Frankly, if Samsung didn’t seem like it was quietly trying to build its own ecosystem of devices, services and software, then you just haven’t been paying attention. With such perseverance in all these areas, it’s hard not to think that Samsung will start dropping Android devices from its lineup in future years. It already uses its homegrown Tizen OS for TVs and Gear smartwatches, so it’s only a matter of time until it makes the jump across for its mobile devices too.

For now, that’s not likely to happen anytime soon though, and it seems like you’re ‘stuck’ using Android Pay for another, well, who knows how long.

 

Continue Reading

Trending